Songs I Sing
Acoustic Covers Modern and Classic
I perform a range of acoustic covers of pop and soul songs, both modern and classic from the 60s onward. It's difficult to list them all so if there's something that you like but you don't see, just ask. It's possible that I do already sing it, or that it wouldn't take much time to learn. I've only listed one song per artist.
Unique Acoustic Cover Versions for Weddings
I like to play about with songs to create unique acoustic cover versions, usually stripped back or chilled out, with the help of my musicians. That creative part is my favourite part. I like to think that there's something for everyone in the list below, and every type of event is covered: wedding ceremonies, wedding receptions, christenings, parties, functions, corporate events such as launch parties, background music for restaurants, and entertainment for pubs.
I'm inspired by Jack Johnson and Ben Howard
I take my inspiration from all sorts of places. First up are my favourite singers to listen to: a long list! Of notable mention though are James Morrison, Ben Howard, Paulo Nutini, Jack Johnson, Sam Smith... artists like that. All men, you may notice. Male songs really lend themselves well to the rich bottom end of my voice; I love singing down there.
Radio 1 Live Lounge is an inspiration too
I keep an eye (or ear) on Radio 1's Live Lounge sessions, and festivals are a great place to pick up ideas. One of my all-time favourite songs to perform is Blondie's Heart of Glass, and Lily Allen's Glastonbury version has had a heavy influence on mine. Watching as much live acoustic music as possible reveals endless ways to deliver classic songs, and YouTube is fantastic for that these days, but remember folks: nothing beats live music!
Boyce Avenue, Jess Greenberg etc: YouTube Influences
I'm influenced by loads of cover artists on YouTube, including Boyce Avenue, Hannah Trigwell, Joseph Vincent, Rozzi Crane... and, ever so very slightly, Jess Greenberg.
Choosing Songs for Live Performance Set Lists
Professional Singer and Musicians
When it comes to choosing songs for your event, I always recommend that you leave the majority of the set list construction to me. With every gig, I've picked up more and more experience of what works and what doesn't work so well. Set lists chosen entirely by clients rarely have the same energy and audience response as those put together by an experienced professional singer and musicians (which is a shame because it'd save me hours that I could use to watch Netflix instead!).
However, if you'd like to make requests, please do! The best sets are those where the style and/or a certain number of songs are chosen by the client, and the rest is pieced together at my end around those choices. You get the style and songs that suit you, and I can create a set list that works as a performance around that.
- Adele Make You Feel My Love
- Aretha Franklin Natural Woman
- Bastille Pompeii
- Ben E King Stand By Me
- Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine
- Billy Joel Just the Way You Are
- Blondie Heart of Glass
- Bruno Mars Marry You
- Bryan Adams (or DJ Sammy) Heaven
- Christina Perri A Thousand Years
- Coldplay Fix You
- Daniel Merriweather Red
- David Guetta / Sia Titanium
- Diana Ross Ain't No Mountain High Enough
- Disclosure White Noise
- Duffy Mercy
- Dusty Springfield Son of a Preacher Man
- Ed Sheeran Thinking Out Loud
- Ellie Goulding How Long Will I Love You?
- Elton John (or Ellie Goulding) Your Song
- Emeli Sande Next to Me
- Extreme (or Westlife) More Than Words
- Frankie Valli Can't Take My Eyes Off You
- Gabrielle Out of Reach
- George Ezra Budapest
- Gnarls Barkley Crazy
- Jack Johnson Better Together
- James Bay Hold Back the River
- James Brown I Feel Good
- John Lengend All of Me
- Katy Perry Roar
- Kings of Leon Sex On Fire
- The Killers- Mr Brightside
- Lumineers Ho Hey
- Maroon 5 This Love
- Otis Redding Dock of the Bay
- Paloma Faith Upside Down
- Paulo Nutini Last Request
- Pixie Lott ('s Live Lounge version of Kings of Leon) Use Somebody
- Rod Stewart (or Stereophonics) Handbags and Gladrags
- Ronnettes Be My Baby
- Stealers Wheel Stuck in the Middle
- Sting Fields of Gold
- Toploader Dancing in the Moonlight
- Tracy Chapman Fast Car
- Train Drops of Jupiter
- Van Morrison Moondance
- White Stripes Seven Nation Army
- Zutons (or Mark Ronson / Amy Winehouse) Valerie